A Wild Sheep Chase

A Wild Sheep Chase


“It’s not always black and white, sometimes there is just grey”

What intrigued me about this story was the lack of duality, which is very prevalent in Western works. Most Western mystery and horror works have a very clearly defined “white” side (the protagonist, supporting characters, etc.) and “black” side (the antagonist, evil, etc.).

There’s no true “good” or “evil” in the story. Whereas the story doesn’t have much “evil”, it’s compensated by the vile descriptive story telling. So, the story itself isn’t too scary, moreso the story telling. However, this doesn’t  take away from the creepy vibe of the story.

In Western culture, the concept of spirits are less accepted. We find ourselves often asking whether they exist or not, there is a lot of uncertainty. In the East, there is no doubt about it, spirits are something they accept.

It was interesting delving into J-Horror, although this wasn’t my favorite text, overall. I really like Uzumaki, and I read that a few years ago, however I’m glad I read something new and the new perspectives it offered me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein & Gothic Genre

BLOODCHILD ASSESMENT