BLOODCHILD ASSESMENT

1. My reaction to this text is quite shocked and intrigued. As I was reading it, It took me a while to figure out what it was really about, as Butler really just throws the reader into the world without much context. I think that the reversal of gender roles is an interesting idea, but it still made me cringe while reading it. Couldn't imagine going through that, really goes to show how women really are much stronger than men in our reality. In this text, however, the idea of a male carrying a baby for an alien reminded me of Riddley Scott's Prometheus, even though it's a woman carrying it in that film. That idea has always freaked me out though, it made me cringe while reading about it in this text as well.

2. As stated in my last answer, I made a text to text connection with that of Riddley Scott's "Prometheus", mainly due to the "carrying an alien baby" plot point. I really like the underlying idea that humans aren't the superior species anymore, that earth is gone, and that humans had to migrate somewhere else. I think that can easily connect with our modern day world, especially with climate change, and the way that earth is being affected by our destructive habits.

3. If I were to adapt this story,  the medium would have to be film. I think there are a lot of good opportunities with visual elements, music, etc. Plot-wise, one of the biggest changes I'd make is that it still takes place on earth, I think that setting would further drive home the point that humans aren't in power anymore, the fact that a species came to our home and overthrew us and took control is much more traumatic. I'd also make Gan's character arch more so about freedom. At first, he accepts things for what they are and just does what everyone tells him to do. But over time, he starts to realize that he doesn't agree with things the way they are. I'd want him to regain his humanity as a character and rebel against the world as he knows it. Maybe in doing so, he finds his brother building a resistance and forming a legitimate rebellion. Not only fighting for freedom but fighting for their home back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein & Gothic Genre

A Wild Sheep Chase